Old Hall and other stainless steel

Old Hall have been producing tableware since 1928. The idea to produce tableware made of stainless steel was revolutionary, to say the least. With the decline in domestic servants came the need for tableware that does not require constant polishing and maintenance. Old Hall were the first to produce teapots made of stainless steel (1930) These early items were labelled 'Staybrite' and it proved to be rather challenging to convince the nation to use stainless steel instead of silver or silverplate. 

The breakthrough came when Old Hall employed the help of an industrial designer. The pieces designed by Harold Stabler began to look a lot like the Old Hall most people are familiar with. The ranges designed during this time around the war were 'Avon', 'Sandon' and 'Richmond'. The production of these ceased after WW2. The difficulties of the war caused a big problem for Old Hall (the factory was converted to support the war efforts and as a result, stainless steel production in other countries, such as Norway and Denmark 'overtook' Old Hall)

The rationing after the war caused additional problems as raw materials were scarce. The order of the day was to produce well-made products which offered good value for money. This lead Old Hall to concentrate on the hotel and catering market. The 'Cumberland' range was produced.

1955 saw the appointment of Robert Welch and the introduction of the 'Campden' range. Many contracts followed: Old Hall was used on aeroplanes, big cruise ships, and even the Orient Express.

The success of Old Hall continued into the 60's with the 'Alveston' range (1965)